The Library Director and Library Board of Trustees oversee the operation of the A.K. Smiley Public Library and its two museums, the Lincoln Memorial Shrine & the Redlands Historical Museum.
"Since 1894, Smiley Public Library has provided library services to the residents of Redlands. It seeks to provide, in accordance with the State Education Code, general diffusion of information and knowledge, a supplement to the formal system of free public education and shall be forever free to the inhabitants of Redlands."
In fulfillment of these goals, The A.K. Smiley Public Library is proud to provide the following services to the community:
- Extensive collection of books, periodicals, and audio visual materials
- Free computer & wireless internet access
- Adult information services & reference resources
- Local and regional history room and archive
- Children's services & programs
- Young adult collection and special events
- Adult literacy assistance
- Adult book clubs
- Special community programs & events
- Fund-raising efforts to secure future growth
- Volunteers who augment staffing and services
- Funding software which enables library card holders to use the Community Center Computer Lab
- Utilizing Endowment income for library programs, materials, and enrichment
With financial support from the City of Redlands General Fund, the Library Endowment and additional support from the Friends of the Library and the community at large, the A.K. Smiley Public continues to enhance and expand services to the residents of Redlands.
A.K. Smiley Public Library
Serving the City of Redlands, California since 1894
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places, 1976
Designated as a State Historic Landmark, 1990